Exploratory Advising Center

Courses / Majors / Credits FAQs

What is DegreeWorks and how do I use it?

Auburn University has launched Auburn DegreeWorks, a new degree-auditing and advising tool. Auburn DegreeWorks is an online program that compares your academic achievement to your major requirements as found in the Auburn Bulletin. This is a great tool you can use to see what courses you have left to complete your degree. You can also use it to review the requirements you have satisfied, and calculate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.

You can also use Auburn DegreeWorks to do a “what if” analysis, that is to see how the courses you have taken fit into a different major.

Auburn DegreeWorks provides the basic information you need so that you and your advisor can focus on your goals and plan how to achieve them. Once you have determined what courses you need to take, it is strongly recommended that you meet with your academic advisor to review your plan in order to verify when certain courses are taught and that future pre-requisites will be met.

How do I change my major?

Before you actually change to another major, you need to do research on the major you are considering. First, run a “What If” scenario in DegreeWorks to see how the courses you have completed fit into a different major. You should also consider talking to a career counselor in the AU Career Center to learn about potential majors and how your interests and background fit with the major you are considering. Next, check the requirements for the program you would like to enroll in because many majors have GPA and course requirements that must be met before a student is accepted into that major. You will also need to meet with an academic advisor in the college of the new major to determine if you are eligible to enter that program. Once you have done your research and made your decision, you need to follow these steps:

  1. If you are changing to a major within your current college, you need to go to your Dean’s/Student Services Office and have a “Change of Major” form completed.
  2. If you are moving out of your current college to a major in another college, you will need to pick up your official folder and a “Change of Major Form” from your current Dean’s/Student Services Office and take both the folder and the completed “Change of Major” form to the desired college’s dean’s office. Please note: Some colleges require you to meet with an academic advisor before you can change to another major, others do not.
  3. You will then meet with an academic advisor in the new college who will review your file and, if you are eligible to enter that college, a change of major form will be processed.

How can I find out what my requirements would be if I change my major?

The easiest way to do this is to go to DegreeWorks and run a “What If” scenario. You can also meet with an advisor in the major you are considering.

What credit do I get for me AP, IB, or ACT scores?

For information regarding AP, IB, or ACT scores, please review this information page from the Office of the Registrar.

What credit do I get for Dual Enrollment as a high school student?

Dual Enrollment means you took college courses while in high school. Under normal circumstances, the dual enrollment college credit will appear on your high school transcript. However, to ensure that college credit earned is included on your record, a transcript of the dual enrollment coursework should be sent to Auburn from the college where the credit was earned. This is also the case with applicants who are home-schooled. Questions regarding dual enrollment credit should be directed to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.

What is the difference between a dual (concurrent) degree and a double major?

To earn a second baccalaureate (dual) degree, a student must complete all the additional requirements for the second degree (including course work in the major field, college core requirements and courses in support of a major). At least 30 semester hours of the second degree must be unique to the second degree and may not be used as major, supporting, or core courses for the first degree. In addition, the total number of hours to complete both degrees must total at least 30 additional semester hours. If 30 unique hours or 30 additional hours cannot be identified, the student is not eligible to receive a second baccalaureate degree. Students who are completing a second degree must comply with all the same grade point and residency requirements as other students. Students may elect to pursue and to receive the two degrees simultaneously if college and departmental requirements can be met simultaneously

To earn a double major, a student must complete all the major courses in the second major (courses bolded in the curriculum model) and meet all the requirements for majors (field of study) such as grade point requirements, the department, school or college core, etc. The minimum number of hours required for an undergraduate major is 30 semester hours. Of these major courses, at least 20 hours must be unique, not courses that have been used as major, supporting, or core courses in the first major. If at least 20 hours of unique courses do not exist between the two majors, a student is not eligible to complete a double major. The student in a double major is not required to complete the college core requirements or the courses in support of the second major. The student will designate which major is the primary field of study and which is the secondary field of study. The student must complete all degree requirements in whichever curriculum he or she designates as the primary field of study. See Academic Policies in the AU Bulletin.

Upon graduation, a student who completes a double major receives a single diploma; a student who completes concurrent (dual) degrees receives a diploma for each degree.

What is a minor and how do I earn one?

A minor is an organized sequence or cluster of courses, including both lower- and upper-division courses, offered by a department or interdepartmental program. It is more restricted in scope than the major, but may also have a somewhat different focus and objective that make it useful to have when your concentration is in another discipline. Not all departments or interdepartmental programs offer minors. See the AU Bulletin for more specific information. Also, your academic advisor will be able to help you determine courses and requirements for a minor.

Where can I find a description of courses?

The most current list of course descriptions can be found in tigeri under “Look Up Classes.” The Auburn University Bulletin also has a complete list of courses and descriptions under the Courses of Instruction pages. More specific course details may be obtained through the department offering the course.

Can I take courses at another institution and receive credit?

An Auburn student in good standing may be approved to take courses at another institution on a transient basis for one term. A student should always meet with an advisor before taking transient courses to confirm that the courses completed will count toward the student’s Auburn degree. In order to receive credit, follow these instructions:

  1. Complete an online “Transient Student Form,” identifying the courses you intend to complete at the other institution.
  2. The completed form is taken or mailed by the student to the intended university prior to course enrollment. The form will not be faxed by the Office of the Registrar.
  3. After completion of a transient course, it is the student’s responsibility to request that a transcript be sent back to Auburn University. Send transcripts to: Admissions and Operations, 108 Martin Hall, Auburn University, AL 36849.

Transient Approval Policy


What are the Student Learning Outcomes?

The core curriculum's eleven Student Learning Outcomes represent the academic skills and principles we want our students to develop before graduating from Auburn. Auburn University believes that attainment of the Student Learning Outcomes provides students with the necessary knowledge, values, skills, and experiences necessary to become competitive in a global society.

Student Learning Outcomes


Who is my major advisor?

Your major advisor could be a faculty member or professional advisor within your specific major. Your major advisor will assist you in making decisions about which courses you should take to help you complete your major and prepare for your career path. You should check with your department to identify your advisor for your major.

Last Updated: May 29, 2018